Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Baby Girl #2's Room - Broken Down (The Lamp)

I thought I'd try and do a post on each of the 'homemade' elements I've been working on for our new baby's nursery.  I've had a TON of fun finding fantastic tutorials and being inspired by all the amazing blogs out on the Internet and put a LOT of them to use!

The first 'piece' I'm going to share with you is the bedside lamp.  I saw this idea on a great blog I love reading called The Pleated Poppy.  Here is a link to her post:  pleated poppy lampshade tutorial.

And here's my version:





The lamp base was $10 at WalMart (Better Homes & Gardens line) which I spray painted with Krylon Satin Catalina Mist.  The lamp shade I found at Goodwill - it went with this lamp base and was in BAD shape!  The base I turned into a lamp for our office/sewing room...

I think I spent $3 on it?  I stripped off all the fabric shade and then (my Dad) gave it a light coat of white paint.  I used strips of fabric from the Riley Blake "Penny Lane" line.  This fabric is the inspiration for the whole room - my wonderful Mom is making baby #2 a quilt with these fabrics so I thought it was a great starting point!  Using the tips in the Pleated Poppy tutorial, I just tore a BUNCH of strips of fabric and tied in between each 'bone' of the existing lampshade.  

16 comments:

  1. I LOVE this lamp shade!
    I too just featured a scrappy lamp on my blog!
    I love all the color in your lamp!
    Gotta try this!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. i totally adore this, i have a huge vintage skeleton shade and i've toyed with the idea of using fabric different somehow and now I know, thank you so much for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your lamps! Thank you so much for sharing! I'm your newest follower! Please stop by bellanest.blogspot.com if you get a chance. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love love love this idea. It is now on my "to do" list. I'll be shopping the second hand stores for the perfect lampshade. I already have a collection of lamp bases. For some reason, I just have a thing for lamps! Thanks so much for sharing.
    BTW, I discovered your lamp via pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this lamp, and great color combination was too much.

    hugs
    Rosangela - Brazil

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! Would be perfect in my daughter's room. Thanks for sharing. I saw your post on Pinterest by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute! I have an old lampshade that would be perfect for this...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also saw this on Pinterest and just had to come over and have a look.. it's beautiful!! Very inspired to have a go myself, thank you for sharing. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a wonderful Eiffel tower lamp base I bough at goodwill years ago, and have just been to lazy or broke depending on the month to get a new lamp shade, I love this idea way better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did this once, just tore strips of all colors of homespun fabric and just wrapped inside and out of the frame and I just tied together also, no certain length of the fabric and maybe around 1 1/2" wide the strips i tore, the only thing is it doesnt put out much light, due to so many dark colors of the homespun, but i love it all the same and I really like yours..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just discovered your blog, via pinterest. Love your lampshade. i'm proud to be your newest follower! Love Katie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going to make it!!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yours came out a lot better than the one that inspired you? I think I might try it with different widths of ribbon. Well done!

    ReplyDelete