Friday, September 30, 2011

Fall Decorating - A Series: Part 2 - The Mantle


I had so much fun looking on Pinterest to get inspiration for my Fall decorations.  I did a specific search for 'mantle decorations' because I feel lost when it comes to how to decorate this area in my house.  Here's what I was working with:
What do you suppose the builder was thinking when he left those huge gaping holes around the fireplace?  (I refer to them as 'cubbies'.  Maybe he has a special affection for silk plants/ivy?  Could you just see that tumbling out of each of the upper cubbies?  Unfortunately, I am NOT a fan of silk plants so I'm a bit lost.
 Here are some of the amazing Fall mantle ideas that I found on Pinterest:
fall mantel, autumn mantel
Sweet Something Design via Pinterest
The Lettered Cottage via Pinterest
Parents.com via Pinterest



It's The Little Things That Make A House via Pinterest

Here is what I ended up with!
I incorporated some aqua (it's a main color in my living and kitchen area) but added golden yellow and orange to create a warmer color scheme.  The garland was made using silk leaves ($1.99 at A.C. Moore), felt penants cut with pinking shears and then sewn with a zig zag stitch onto brown and red binding tape.


I added some of the silk leaves to the sconces that flank each side of the painting over the mantle

Using some silk Mums that I purchased at Hobby Lobby, I cut them down and put them into vases.  The sunflower painting I orginally painted a few years ago as a Christmas gift for my Mom - not sure how I ended up getting it back!


This driftwood was a going away gift from friends when we moved from Washington state - isn't it amazing?  

The book pumpkins - aren't they fabulous?  

I found the idea for them on Pinterest using this tutorial: Book Pumpkin Tutorial.  I purchased books at the Dollar Store, clipped some branches in my back yard and used ribbon that I already had on hand.... did you notice that the pumpkin on the right... the book is upside down?  OOPS!

1 comment:

  1. You are such a creative person Amy!!!! Looks beautiful!! Now if you'd some and decorate my house for the Autumn, Thanksgiving and Christmas that'd be great!!! Miss you :) Karry

    ReplyDelete